Packing Camp Food
- Bin 1) Dried food, crackers, marshmallow, bread, chips, paper products, dehydrated food etc....
- Bin 2) Liquids, wine, extra beers, juice, olive oil, condiments, fresh fruit or veggies as long as they stay cool
- Cooler 1: Beverages
- Cooler 2: Food
- Two coolers is optional and not needed for short trips with a family of three.
- Freeze meat
- Loose ice at the bottom of cooler
- Set aside loose ice in a clean bag for drinks
- All small stuff goes into airtight Ziploc containers (not bags) when the ice melts the water gets into everything
- If I'm bringing two coolers, I use one for food and the other for drinks
- Use block ice
- Freeze water in plastic 1/2 gallon jugs tp keep food colder longer with less water runoff, leave room in container for water to expand when it freezes
Organize & Prep as much as possible before you leave home
- Sort your food into two CLEAR bins. Dry & Liquid, label opt.
- Use two coolers for bigger trips, one for food and the other for beverages
- Use block ice or frozen water in 1/2 gallon jugs
- Freeze your meat & pre-cooked dishes
- Wipe your bear box out with a damp towel before you store your food
- Bring unscented wet wipes
- If you camp often label your bins "Dry Food, NO Food, Kitchen, Medicine" etc...
- Label NO FOOD on anything you plan on leaving out of the bear box
- Bear box fits one standard cooler and two bins usually
- Don't put food in your car! unless the camp host/ranger allows it